Monday, November 10, 2008

Cinnamon Rolls

1 1/2 T. Yeast
2 1/2 cups water
1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp salt
5 1/2 to 6 cups flour
1 egg

ICING-1/4 cup melted butter, 1/2 cup milk, 2 to 3 cups powdered sugar, 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla. Should be rather thin

Heat, water, butter, sugar and salt. Add 2 cups flour and yeast. Beat together. Add egg and rest of flour, mix well. But don't over mix. Let rise until double. Knead down, Let rise again. Roll out 1/2 inch thick. Warm 1/2 cup butter and spread on dough. Mix 1 1/2 cups sugar with 1 1/3 T. cinnamon. Put on top of dough and roll up. Cut into 1 in. slices. Put into greased pan and bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes Spoon icing over rolls. Serve Warm



**Notes from my experiences....These do take awhile to make but they are so worth it. We keep our house pretty cool in the winter so in order to get my rolls to rise quicker. I heat my oven up to 110 degrees and then shut off and place the dough in the oven to rise. I also have been known to put on my dryer in the laundry room or very close to a vent.
**I have also been able to stretch the receipe to make 2 9x13 disposable pans out of this receipe and the rolls were still very big.
**I also suggest cutting down the butter that goes on the dough as I have had it coming out my roll and makes it hard to stay rolled.
**I don't put quite as much butter in the frosting either.
**I use a bread knife to cut or a very, very sharp knife to cut the slices
**One more quick note...when you are heating your first ingredients and add it to flour and yeast make sure the water mixture isn't so hot that it will kill your yeast. If this happens they won't rise. I think warm to hot on a quick finger test you should be ok. (but I am not a professional baker).

These are Awesome cinnamon rolls. We eat these for snacks, breakfast, and dessert. Again take a little time, but great thing for multi-tasking. These make great gifts too.

Enjoy

No comments: